Recipe by Catherine Walthers
The bright orange carrots and the dark green microgreen leaves make for a festive cold-weather salad. Add a delicious reduced-fat dressing made with freshly squeezed orange juice and you have a satisfying and cooling salad full of vitamins, crunch and sweetness. Perfect for potlucks or as a substitute for coleslaw.
- 4 cups peeled and shredded carrots (about 1½ pounds)
- 2 stalks celery, cut in half lengthwise and sliced very thinly on the diagonal
- 1–2 cups microgreens of your choice
- ½ cup dried cranberries, roughly chopped
- ½ cup sliced almonds, toasted
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced shallot or red onion (optional)
- 2 teaspoons raw honey or maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine carrots, celery, microgreens and cranberries.
- Mix gently.
- Combine all the ingredients for the dressing in a jar and shake until mixed.
- Just before serving, pour over salad. Adjust salt to taste.
- Garnish with toasted sliced almonds.