When it comes to cooking the perfect burger, a few things are key: Handle the meat as little as possible. Make the patties ahead, and refrigerate until you’re ready for them to hit a hot pan. For best results, use a cast-iron skillet to cook the patties.
MAKES 6 BURGERS
PREP TIME: 15 minutes COOK TIME: 10 minutes TOTAL TIME: 25 minutes
For the quick-pickled onion
- 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
For the aioli
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cups olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground mustard
For the burger
- 2 pounds grass-fed ground beef
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 6 brioche buns
- 1 ½ tablespoons chipotle in adobo sauce
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup microgreens
- To make the quick pickled onions, whisk together the first three ingredients and 1 cup water in a small bowl until the sugar and salt dissolve. Place the onion in a jar and pour the vinegar mixture over top. Let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
- To make the aioli, add all the ingredients into the base of an immersion blender. Blend on high speed until all the ingredients are incorporated and you have a smooth sauce. Alternatively, blend in a food processor.
- To make the burgers, shape the beef into 6, 1-inch thick patties. Handle the meat as little as possible – the more you work it, the tougher it gets. Using your thumb, make a shallow depression in the center of each burger to prevent them from ballooning up. Place in the fridge to chill.
- Meanwhile, heat the oven to 350°F. Spread a thin layer of chipotle sauce on each bun and bake until toasted, 4 to 6 minutes.
- In a large cast-iron skillet over high heat, warm the oil and butter until melted. Add the patties, working in batches if needed, until browned on each side, about 6 minutes for medium-rare.
- Remove patties from the heat and let cool.
- Layer brioche buns with aioli, burger patties, a few onions, a sprinkle of feta and a handful of microgreens.